Sunday, March 24, 2013

Monochrome Monday (barking at light)

Surf photographers have to be barking mad.


You stand in the sun for hours while everybody else is having fun. Or you swim around trying not to get run over, so you can get a shot worth keeping.


There's no money in it, though your equipment outlay is enough to feed a small third world village for a week. Maybe it's just barking at the light.


But I intend to keep doing it as long as I can. Yep, it makes as much sense as trying to hit a white ball into a hole 18 times or losing a heap of money watching horses run around in a big circle.

But linear, economic rationalist logic explains nothing here, so I'll leave the final word to legend Kiwi photog Jackie Ranken, who says:
"I am at my most settled when I have a camera in my hands and the space, the time and the light to make photographs and print them."

No comments:

Post a Comment