Monday, July 23, 2012

Chilly Tuesday

It's pitch dark but I'm wide awake. The barking dog up the road and the possums returning from their nocturnal adventures penetrate my pre-dawn thoughts. I may as well get up, even though I have no idea what the time is. Hopefully dawn isn't too far away.
The mobile phone/alarm/clock/portal-to-the-universe is dead as I fire up two computers and jam the studio headphones on my my sniffly head. I spend the next 10 minutes wandering around the kitchen organising coffee in silence, not focused enough to remember to turn the music on. 
Insomnia is good for something, I'm sure. I just don't know what on this chilly Tuesday. The coffee eventually percolates as a series of laid back acoustic tunes from Ali Farka Toure, Angelique Kidjo and Nirvana seep into my ears. 
The Church's Under the Milky Way version from their acoustic album Momento Descuidado steps up, grabs my memory and transports me back in time to the day I shot video all day during one of Noosa's rare monster swells when the sun was out, the waves huge, the crowds insane but the rides epic. I used this song on the soundtrack during a slow mo sequence.

"Sometimes when this place gets kind of empty,
Sound of their breath fades with the light.
I think about the loveless fascination,
Under the milky way tonight.

Wish I knew what you were looking for.
Might have known what you would find.

And it's something quite peculiar,
Something that's shimmering and white.
Leads you here despite your destination,
Under the milky way tonight.
"
excerpt from the song Under the Milky Way by The Church




No comments:

Post a Comment