Monday, July 22, 2013

Delta Lady and the Hard Road

We were in the back of a hired 8 seater mini-van the other day, talking about Aussie hip hop and the Hilltop Hoods crew after another family funeral (three in one week) when my mind went blank. It was a terrible feeling knowing I couldn't remember a musician's name.
We were talking about the song The Hard Road and I was trying to explain that the sample in the song was by a legend (albeit nameless at that stage) musician admired by the deceased fella we had been toasting for the preceding few hours. Maybe the beer was blocking my memory. 
Two days lady, I remember.

The sample is from the song Out in the Woods by none other than the legendary Leon Russell who played in the very first "live aid style" Concert for Bangladesh (below) in 1970 as well as playing on albums by everybody from Jan & Dean, Gary Lewis, George Harrison, Gram Parsons, Delaney Bramlett, Ringo Starr, Doris Day, Elton John, Ray Charles, Eric Clapton, The Byrds, The Beach Boys, The Ventures, Willie Nelson, Badfinger, Tijuana Brass, Frank Sinatra, The Band, Bob Dylan, BB King, Dave Mason, Glen Campbell to the Rolling Stones.
"Well, I'm goin' down, 
goin down a hard road
Just don't know, 
don't know where I've been
But I think I've been a-walkin', 
I'm a-walkin' 'round in circles
Can't even find a friend"
 from OUT IN THE WOODS by Leon Russell

No comments:

Post a Comment